Brad and Dan begin by discussing the growing case against Trump, whose seems to have clearly obstructed the retrieval of classified documents from his home. This leads to a discussion of how and when GOP elites will pivot away from Trump and what this means for the MAGA movement going forward.
They then discuss two speeches by President Biden this week. In the first, he used the term “semi-fascist” to describe MAGA Republicans. Then, last night he gave a speech at Independence Hall in Philadelphia where he laid out the strongest case yet that MAGA-ism is a threat to our democracy. Brad and Dan dissect what fascism is, how it has worked historically, and why it’s accurate to label MAGA-ism a fascist movement. They then analyze key lines from Biden’s speech and what his intentions were in giving it.
The episode finishes with a segment on the racialized environmental disaster in Jackson, MS where residents are without water. Brad and Dan show how a history of shifting funds away from Black areas of the city and ignoring failing infrastructure led to a preventable humanitarian crisis in the Blackest state in the nation.
- For access to the full Orange Wave series, click here: https://irreverent.supportingcast.fm/products/the-orange-wave-a-history-of-the-religious-right-since-1960
- Pre-Order Brad’s new book: https://www.amazon.com/Preparing-War-Extremist-Christian-Nationalism/dp/1506482163
- To Donate: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/BradleyOnishi
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/straightwhiteamericanjesus
- SWAJ Apparel is here! https://straight-white-american-jesus.creator-spring.com/listing/not-today-uncle-ron
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
Support our show by becoming a premium member! https://swaj.supportingcast.fm